For those of you that don't know it,
Quabbin Reservoir is a
reservoir that was created in the 30's as a water supply for Boston. Four towns were flooded to create the 18 mile long lake. I have pictures of my Dad and his friends at the
Quabbin back in the early seventies (maybe even late 60's) They used to get up at 4am and sleep in their car so that they were assured a spot on the lake.
Quabbin only allows a certain number of boats on the lake at a time and they must be rented or meet strict guidelines. The pictures looked amazing and I have been wanted to visit the
Quabbin for a long time. Now that we live so close, there was no reason why we shouldn't go! Dillon and I went there for the first time on Monday. My mother's group has started weekly walks there. We were a little late after getting lost several times getting there. It's only 15
mins from my house, but is quite hidden! I made a call to my father who could only tell me to "go north" and warned that there would be nothing but water and
Forrest. "There isn't going to be a
ferriswheel and
snack bars there," he warned. I finally had to stop and ask a State Trooper how to get there. Dillon and I did a lot of walking on our own before meeting up with our friends for a picnic lunch. I was amazed at how quiet it was out there. You don't hear any people, cars, nothing. It was very cool. We walked at the end of the
Quabbin at a dam called the
Goodnough Dike. Here are some pictures from our day:
I was hoping to see an eagle, but never thought I actually would. Then, when we stopped to have lunch, there it was!! This was my first real life eagle sighting:


I stopped at the center of the dam to let Dillon out to run around. He wasn't having it:
Soo we took some pictures:

There were birds everywhere and Dillon just sat and watched them. He LOVES birds:
No comments:
Post a Comment