Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A sign of things to come?

I recently posted about Dillon's climbing obsession. Well, it has not fizzled out. It has gotten worse. He climbs on top of tables, chairs, end tables, ANYTHING he can get a leg up on. We tell him no and take him down again, and again, and again. He still likes to climb. I took him to the park yesterday to try and get some of this climbing out of his system. Did he climb up the slide or on the jungle gym? No, Dillon climbed the RAILING to the slide and climbed to standing on top of the rocking horses on SPRINGS at the playground. Towards the end of our trip, Dillon became interested in the picnic tables. He kept trying to stand on the table where he would smile and clap his hands. I was talking with another mother, and kept pulling Dillon down and trying to distract him. I must have done this seven or eight times. I turned around for one minute and when I looked back at Dillon, he was falling off the picnic table. He hit his face on the bench on his way to the grass. It was not pretty. I picked him up and he was screaming. He also had blood oozing out of his little mouth. I have never seen him bleed so much. I quickly checked to make sure all of his teeth were attached and they were. He had cut his lip. The other mother at the park gave me wipes to clean Dillon up and made me feel better about Dill's fall. "You told him to get down so many times," she said. "I'm sure he won't be doing that again." Her son had taken a fall on the slide earlier and wouldn't return to the slide. No sooner were the words out of her mouth, when Dillon, still bleeding and crying, began to climb the picnic table AGAIN. It was then that I decided Dillon had to go home. Here is his proudly showing off his bruised chin: I worry about teen aged Dillon. Will he be a total dare devil? This child seems to have no fear. He falls and scrapes knees without missing a beat. He topples off chairs, tries to tackle our dogs, and spends his days trying to climb on TOP of his new water table. He ends up looking like this at the end of the day. As you can see, he also does a number on our house lately:
After the park incident, we went to Marshal's to get a Father's Day gift for Tim. Dillon spilled his entire sippy cup full of water all over his lap on the way there. He then dumped all of his goldfish on top of the water and made sure to crunch it all over his car seat. I brought my wet, crumb covered child into the store. We weren't there 10 mins before Dillon started screaming to get out of the cart. Everyone was staring at me and I imagined them shaking their heads and criticising me silently for having such a naughty child. I let Dillon out of the cart with hopes that he would be interested in helping me push as he often is. We pushed our cart into the check out line and off he went as I was paying for our purchase. Where's my child? He's off hiding in the returns rack. Where's my child? He's sticking his hands into a basket of giant tacks used to attach security devices to the clothes. I've never signed a credit card receipt so fast in my life. We were out of there. When we got home, I let Dillon dig in the dirt and run around the yard with no clothes on. This was certainly his favorite part of the day. Covered in mud, grass, and dirt, our day ended the same way it always does...with a bath:




1 comment:

Brianna Snyder said...

Awww his chin's not that bad!!! I bet he'll be like John Kennedy when he grows up!!! (The alive on who climbs rocks not the one who "passed" in TX)