Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Favorite Place

The Berkshires is my favorite place. Specifically Great Barrington. I grew up there. I went to High School there. I miss it everyday. I went back today to visit my mother. I haven't been back in at least a couple months. I have so many favorite places in The Berkshires, but thought I'd share a few: This was the outdoor location of our wedding. (Just before it rained)The Mount, Edith Wharton's summer cottage. I love it here.Here I am at The Mount. This was actually the day before I found out I was pregnant with Dillon:Green River:This is by far my favorite time of year there. The mountains are green and the trees lining Main Street are covered with white blossoms. Driving over the mountain into the valley, I was flooded with memories. I had a picturesque childhood and high school experience in this beautiful little town. Today, my mom and I took took Dillon to one of my favorite spots in Great Barrington: Mahaiwe Cemetery. I know that sounds a little dark, but this really is a gorgeous spot. The cemetery is in a small valley and there are old graves lining the the sides of the hills. In the center, there is a huge open field filled with wildflowers. Here is a sign from the Wainwright Inn which is near the cemetery. It is right across the street from the first house we lived in here:
The owner of the Inn was a scientist and electrocuted himself in the basement. Yes, that's a fact! haha





Here is a view of the cemetery and the mountain from my mother's house today:





There are gorgeous old statues in the cemetery. I am so drawn to them and love taking photos of them.














My Mom and Dillon in the little valley:











































There are bird houses throughout the cemetery and we saw two birds in the middle of making their nest. Tim says they are swallows. Tim is somewhat of a bird expert? I know, I know...I didn't know either.







Dillon is really into picking flowers. It's soooo adorable. It was fun to take him to this place that I spent so much time in through out my life. As a child, my sister and friend and I would sled down the hills into the valley. My grandmother would take my cousins and I for walks here. When I was older, I would take my dogs to run off leash in the field. It was one of my favorite places to walk when I was pregnant with Dillon. Now I take little Dillon to play here. It is amazing all of the history to be found:



































1 comment:

Brianna Snyder said...

happy mother's day, dani. you're both gorgeous. xoxo