I can't believe my little Dillster is four years old. I'm having so much fun watching him at this age. He is saying and doing the most hilarious things. He is starting to ask deeper questions. I have to share a little conversation we had with Dillon about death. As parents, we TOTALLY messed things up. I only hope he isn't completely scarred for life.
We were all having dinner at the table one evening. Dillon was complaining about what we were eating. I was trying desperately to keep Louise entertained for just a few minutes more so that we could all finish eating. I dropped a few more cheerios onto her tray. One of the fish in our tank had died that afternoon.
Dillon: What happened to the fish? Where did he go?
Me: He died.
Dillon: Where did he go?
Tim: I flushed him down the toilet because he wasn't living anymore.
Me: No, no, he went to heaven.
Dillon is pretty confused now.
Dillon: KEVIN? (Kevin is our Elf on the Shelf) He is with Kevin?
Me: No, he's in HEAVEN. It's where the angels live.
Dillon: He is where the poopy and the pee is?
Tim: Uh, no, he's in heaven like Mommy said.
Dillon: Is Louise an angel?
Me: Before she was in Mommy's tummy she was an angel in heaven.
Dillon: Louise was in Kevin's tummy?!?!
Me: No, in HEAVEN. Kevin really has nothing to do with this at all.
Dillon: Can I have ice cream if I eat my whole plate?Tim: Yes, yeah sure.
Hopefully we'll be better prepared for the next line of questioning. Apparently, he ambushed Memere about death before his birthday party while they were watching his new fish tank. Now he tells everyone that dead is when you float to the top of the tank.
With all the tough parts, it's so much fun. He is such a happy, persistent, stubborn, loving, active little boy. I'm so looking forward to this year. He'll start soccer, preschool, swimming, and riding his bike. Where did my little baby go??
No comments:
Post a Comment