Thursday, February 26, 2009

38 Weeks

So my co-worker in our Costa Rica office asked how I was feeling today. I told him I was feeling ok and he said, "muy embarazada ?" I don't speak Spanish at all so I went to the free online translator and typed it in. Well, it translates to, "very pregnant". Well Jose, you are right on. That is exactly how I feel today....extremely pregnant. I had my weekly appointment this morning. I am still 1.5 cent dilated but am now 75-80% effaced and the baby has now moved down further to station -2. The dr told me she doesn't want me to go into work anymore but is fine with me working from home. She said with my cervix being so thin, anything could happen at this point. For some reason, I left the dr feeling discouraged. I don't know what I expected to hear, "You're in labor! You'd better go to the hospital right now!" I am just so ready to have this baby and so excited to meet him. I know he'll be hear so very soon, but I am so impatient!

On Monday, Tim's company threw us a shower. It was adorable. The people he works with are so kind and are so much fun to be around. We had snacks and cookies and cake. We opened a ton of gifts and got so many adorable things. One woman even knit us a baby blanket! We also got a monitor so that we can keep tabs on our little guy. They did such a nice job and it is obvious that Tim is well liked there! Yesterday, my work threw me a party too! I was so surprised. I have a co-worker that is getting married a week after the baby is due, so they had a joint party with cake and ice cream. They gave me a very generous monetary gift as well!

What is baby up to this week?
As you know, you've arrived at the final leg of your pregnancy journey, and if you're still carrying your little love around, they've just about reached their birth weight (somewhere between 6 to 8 pounds is average depending on whether they're a boy or girl). There really isn't a lot to report on baby this week, so lets do a quick recount of where we're at: all internal organ systems are pretty much ready for the outside world, they've got their meconium stockpile building up (their first black baby poo), lots of healthy baby fat, a rapidly developing brain (that'll keep growing with them for years to come), and they've more or less reached official baby status-- all they need to do is "head out" and say hello to the rest of the world and especially their ready-to-pop momma.

Symptoms:
Rib and back pain are back
Thirst...can't stop drinking
Feeling like I'm going to POP!

No comments: